The group provides expertise and bioinformatics analysis tools to scientists at the Crick. Areas of focus for the group include next generation sequencing, functional genomics, microarray data analysis, biological sequence analysis, genome analysis and biostatistics.
The group has advanced skills in bioinformatics, computing & programming, statistics and molecular biology enabling us to provide world class bioinformatics support to the Crick's research objectives.
||Solexa experiments capable of generating in excess of 60 million reads per run.
We are currently analysing data in the following application areas
- ChIP-Seq: Sequencing of protein bound DNA fragments.
- RNA-Seq: Sequencing of RNA to determine transcript abundance.
- Resequencing: Genome scale resequencing to identify genomic variants.
- miRNA: Characterisation and quantification of small regulatory RNA moleclues.
- 4C: Structurally associated DNA sequencing.
||We offer a comprehensive microarray analysis service for expression, CGH, tiling, SNP and methylation arrays.
- Experimental Design: Getting the most out of your experiment.
- Expression: Identifying condition dependent mRNA changes.
- CGH: Finding regions of genomic loss and gain across samples.
- Tiling Arrays: Localising protein-DNA interations via ChIP-on-chip.
- SNP Arrays: Determining genotype, copy number variation and loss of heterozygosity.
Tools and techniques
- Pathway Analysis: Identifying functional signatures within your list of genes.
- GeneGo: Pathway analysis software.
- Transcription Factor Analysis: Identifying putative binding motifs within target promoter sequences.
||Gene and protein level analysis using genome, sequence and annotation databases.
Problems we solve
- Searching for novel homologues/orthologues.
- Protein characterisation.
- Promoter analysis.
- Help with genome browsers.
||We also have the following skills within the group that may be of use in your research.
Skills and expertise
- Data visualisation and the production of publication quality figures.
- Web development and the deployment of tools and data over the internet.
- Computer programming expertise in R, Perl, C, Java, Python, PHP and Bash.
- Database programming and the storage of complex data.
- Experimental design.
- Help deciphering the appropriate statistical method(s) to apply.
- Advice on specialist software.
- Statistical analysis of data.
- Analysis of RNAi screens